Hamas has made it clear that any military action in Rafah would have catastrophic consequences, possibly causing tens of thousands of casualties.
The leader of the Hamas movement in the Gaza Strip warned on February 10 that Israel's planned military operation in the border city of Rafah could claim the lives of tens of thousands of Palestinians who consider the city their last refuge.
Hamas' statement said any military action in Rafah would have catastrophic consequences, potentially killing and injuring tens of thousands of people.
Previously, a series of foreign officials also expressed concern about Israel's military plan at Rafah - the Egyptian-controlled border gate and the only exit from Gaza that does not lead to Israeli territory.
The European Union's (EU) high representative for foreign affairs and security policy warned that Israel's attack on Rafah would lead to a humanitarian disaster and flare up serious tensions with Egypt.
He stressed that continuing negotiations to release hostages and stopping hostilities was the only way to stop the bloodshed.
Meanwhile, Jordanian Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi warned that another bloodbath in Gaza cannot be allowed.
British Foreign Secretary David Cameron expressed deep concern about the prospect of a military offensive in Rafah, stressing that the priority must be to immediately halt the fighting to allow aid to be delivered and hostages to be released.
Saudi Arabia said on February 10 that Israel's military operation in the southern Gaza Strip city of Rafah would cause a "humanitarian disaster," and called on the United Nations Security Council to intervene.
“This continued violation of international law and international humanitarian law confirms the need for an urgent convening of the Security Council to prevent Israel from causing the next humanitarian catastrophe,” the statement said.
The US State Department also issued a statement that it does not support the Israeli military's ground offensive in Rafah, warning that if not properly planned, this military operation risks causing a humanitarian disaster.
Earlier on February 9, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered the army to prepare to evacuate civilians from Rafah before launching a ground operation against Hamas in the city.
TB (summary)